The workshop will focus on 3 topcis
MOZAMBICAN TRADITIONAL DANCES & RHYTHMS
There are over 1000 traditional dances in Mozambique. What all dances have in common is that rhythm comes first, movements come second. Each has a different story, emotion, expression and tradition.
The Marrabenta is a traditional female Mozambican dance that is performed to enhance feminine beauty, empower women and renew their self-esteem. Judith’s class will focus on the learning of Marrabenta and is open to everyone.
Which consist in a mix of Mozambican traditional dance steps and Lindy hop.
We will mainly be working on :
Recognition of the African Roots in Authentic Jazz and Lindy hop
- Percussion, rhythms, poly rhythms;
- Posture, connection to the earth, qualities of movements, strength;
- Improvisation, call and response, emotional expression, spiritual connection;
- Storytelling, imitation of characters, movements from daily life or animals;
- Community, human connection, jam circle, competition.
Exploration of the connection Afro Swing;
- Play with similar steps and rhythms;
- Dancing Lindy Hop/Jazz/Tapp/Blues to African drums;
- Dancing African Moves to Swing music;
- Mixing African movements with Lindy Hop – social and choreographed;
- Invite an “African” expression into Lindy Hop and Jazz.
The classes will be accompanied by African traditional drums!
The level of the workshop is open to everybody.